Date: June 8, 2021
Music Video of the Day:
Interstellar News: As I continue the MCU movie marathon with the husband person and our dear friends in New York, one pointed out that both of these movies have Loki as the antagonist. While I absolutely hate the notion that adopted babies are troublemakers, the way Chris Hemsworth delivers that line in Avengers is absolute gold. Tonight we watched Iron Man 3, which I’ll write about sometime later.
“I have no plans to die today.”: This movie is wonderful in so many ways. It begins with Thor being a spoiled brat and it ends with him understanding what it means to be a hero, very much like Tony Stark was at the beginning and then end of Iron Man. The bits on Asgard introduce us to all the players while the bits on Earth provide comedy and a chance to see how the other half lives. Darcy is completely wonderful and I’m so glad I got to see more of her, with her PhD, in WandaVision. There are times where you want to feel bad for Loki, but then he does something to fuck that up. Odin, as always, saves the day but Frigga pulls her weight and I truly wish there was more of her in this movie. I will say that Thor’s transformation into the self-sacrificing kind comes quite quickly, especially when you realize he’s been alive for a reaaaaaaally long time. The action scenes are exciting, everyone trying to remove the hammer like it’s Excalibur is so much fun, and seeing Hawkeye and Agent Coulson is always a good time. While there are many good and memorable scenes, Thor bringing Selvig home drunk is one of the best. “We drank, we fought, he made his ancestors proud.”
“Until such a time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on.”: As I love pretty much everything about this movie, I’m just going to share all of my favorite lines and maybe put in some thoughts or analysis here and there.
- “Sir, please put down the spear.” Fury to Loki
- “I’m in the middle of an interrogation and this moron is giving me everything.” Black Widow to Coulson
- “Phil? Uh, his first name is Agent.” Stark to Potts
- “Really? They wanted me in a submerged, pressurized metal container? Oh, no. This is much worse.” Banner about the Hellicarrier
The running gag of Coulson and his “near mint” Captain America cards are wonderfully set up and done throughout the movie.
- “I’ll need a distraction. And an eyeball.” Barton (under the influence) to Loki
- “There are always men like you.” a wise German man
- “There’s only one God, ma’am. And I’m pretty sure he doesn’t dress like that.” Cap to Natasha
The three-way battle between Thor, Iron Man, and Cap is wonderful for the dialogue and getting the “heroes fight amongst their selves” bit out of the way early.
- “I understood that reference.” Cap to everyone about understanding the Wizard of Oz reference
- “BILCHSNIPE? You know; huge, scaly, big antlers. You don’t have those?” Thor and Coulson discussing the flora and fauna of Midgard
When the Hellicarrier is attacked they all do their best to work together or mitigate the threats (like Hulk) and are separated. This makes it more powerful later when they all gather in New York and come together as a team… trusting each other, especially when Iron Man puts Cap “in charge”.
- “So that’s what it does.” Coulson after shooting Loki
- “Well then, son, you’ve got a condition.” Security guard to Banner after he transitions from being the Hulk
- “That’s just a preview, this is opening night. Loki’s a full-tilt diva. He wants flowers, he wants parades, he wants a monument built in the skies with his name plastered… Son of a bitch!” Stark to Rogers, realizing where Loki is heading
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the scene where Loki tries to turn Stark against the rest of the Avengers, but he can’t because of Tony’s reactor. It brings us this fabulous line… “Well, performance issues. You know? Not uncommon.”
Then there’s the Chitauri vs. the Avengers and this fantastic scene:
- “You and I remember Budapest very differently.” Hawkeye and Black Widow reminiscing
- “So, this all seems horrible.” Banner arriving late to the party
- “I don’t see how that’s a party” Black Widow remarking at aliens being brought their way
- “Captain, none of this is gonna mean a damn thing if we don’t close that portal.” Black Widow being the only smart person at the party
- “I recognize the council has made a decision, but given that it’s a stupid ass decision, I’ve elected to ignore it.” Fury gets all the best lines
- “What the hell? What just happened? Please tell me nobody kissed me.” Stark after waking up
- “Superheroes? In New York? Give me a break!” Stan Lee’s cameo
I am also completely in love with the post-credits scene where they all go out for shawarma. Banner has a giant stack of plates and it’s that level of detail I just adore. 10/10 would watch again. It’s not perfect but it’s a good way to spend a Tuesday night.